Protect our environment: dispose of waste the right way!
There are two types of sewer systems in the City of Soldotna - sanitary and storm sewer systems. Water from the sanitary sewer system gets treated at the wastewater treatment plant, however the water from the storm system goes through settling to remove sediment before entering our local waterways. Everyday items like, hygiene products, wipes and waste products, should not be flushed or poured down either sewer system because of the many negative effects they have on the City's infrastructure and more importantly our natural environment!
The City of Soldotna's sanitary sewer system is not designed to dispose of anything beyond human waste, toilet paper and wastewater. Flushing or pouring other harmful material down any of the drains in your home, could cause the following issues to occur:
- Damage or blockages in your home plumbing.
- Increased cost for the homeowner to clean and repair a flooded basement.
- Increased operation and maintenance cost for the City of Soldotna to clean and repair the city's sewer pipes or to fix equipment at a wastewater treatment plant.
REMINDER: by not disposing waste the right way, both the homeowner and the City of Soldotna are affected by increased operation and maintenance costs.
To help keep the entire sewage system working well, please do not flush or put the following products down the drain:
- Hygiene products
- wipes/baby wipes or hygiene wipes even those that say "flushable" can cause problems.
- tampons, sanitary pads
- cotton swabs
- dental floss
- facial tissue
- paper towels
- Fats, Oils, Grease (FOG)
- Pharmaceuticals - medications
- Household hazardous waste - such as paints, pesticides and many other cleaning products.
WIPES BLOCK PIPES: even when wipes are labeled and marketed as "FLUSHABLE" they should NOT BE FLUSHED down the toilet. These wipes cause a range of problems. Please ALWAYS throw wipes in the garbage.
Helpful information on proper disposal of products:
for more information on properly disposing of medication please visit: